Sunday, March 24, 2013

Each and Every Day

Dear Kreg,

As I stood there with the sun on my face, I couldn't help but think that it was possibly a sign that you still love and care for me. I felt this after I had brushed the snow off your gravestone so that the world could once again see your name. If there is one thing that I want most, it is for your life example to be remembered. I have finally reached the end of my student teaching which has been a wonderful, busy and sometimes overwhelming experience. This last year has been a journey that I have yearned to discuss with you multiple times. Mostly full of wishful conversations concerning the medical school process. It's interesting how without fail, each time I am calling my family members with good news concerning medical school, or other exciting moments in life, I always feel this hole in my heart and feel as if I have forgotten someone. It's you. Isn't it odd? After almost seven years, I still can't get over the fact that I want to share those good news moments with you. Perhaps that is why I have begun this little wishful letter writing experience. Anyways, it's about time I get all of those wishful conversations out.

I finished my second marathon last July. I ran it for you. Homemade t-shirt and all, I ran it for you. It was hard, much harder than the last one, yet it was worth it. Sweet Isaiah helped me in the last 6 miles by being right by my side. Mom also jumped in and ran some with me. Talk about a wonderful family. It was a wonderful experience. Not because it was easy, but because it was hard and I had to rely on the wonderful relationship I have with mom and Isaiah. Regardless of all the details, I ran it for you. It was a marathon full of tears (mainly when other runners would ask whose name was on my shirt). I also ran into one of your friends from the state hospital, Kate. We ran together for a little while and talked about you for quite a while and all that you stood for while you we're here.






Along with finishing the marathon for you, there have also been some other exciting moments the past few months. Isaiah has been undergoing the application process which has been quite the journey. It all started about a year ago, full of applications, secondary applications and finally interviews. Last October we were able to go on a little adventure back east while Isaiah had some interviews. He was interviewing in North Carolina and Pennsylvania so we decided to make a week trip out of it and enjoy the journey. Along the way, we stopped by VCU where you went to school. Isaiah's interview there wasn't for a few weeks, but I wanted to stop there to see where you went. Here are a few pictures of our trip as well as our stop at VCU.






Isaiah had his first acceptance last October to St. Louis University. The relief of not getting in anywhere was taken away and we were very excited. After that was Ohio State at the end of November. This was extremely exciting because it was one of our top choices. Ohio State seemed like a wonderful opportunity and was well ranked. The Commonwealth College of Pennsylvania called Isaiah at the beginning of December which was another exciting acceptance. After that, we knew we were on the long wait to hear from Duke and the U.

At the beginning of March we heard from Duke. I still remember driving away from North Carolina that Tuesday and how Isaiah and I kept saying how we needed to make sure we didn't get our hopes up. We always had a hope/feeling that maybe things would work out with Duke, yet we couldn't say anything incase our feeling was wrong. Anyways, we heard form Duke on a Monday. I was teaching and Carol knew that I was waiting for the yes/no from Isaiah. As my phone vibrated, she called me over.  All the text said was "accepted".  I was so excited that I couldn't even teach. It was unbelievable! Regardless of the decisions we make, it is incredible to even have the possibility of North Carolina in our future.   Here are a few pictures that I took from Duke when we were there, it was gorgeous! I spent the entire 8 hours while Isaiah was in his interview, walking around and exploring Duke's campus.









We are still waiting on hearing for the U to make a final decision. This is certainly the largest decision of our marriage and I cannot imagine doing it without the help of the Lord. Hopefully, He will somehow find a way for you to communicate what you think we should do to us as well. Its interesting how the gospel makes everything in life easier. I can't imagine all of the trials in life without the strength and assistance of our Savior.

url.jpg



I'll love you forever,
                    Marie

1 comment:

  1. Marie! So proud of you and all that you do! Your second marathon sounded incredible! It's such an amazing experience just running, but doing it for your dad sharing his stories with other runners must have meant a great deal to you!
    Also! Crazy excited for Isaiah and you too! So incredible that he got accepted to all these amazing schools, and I'm sure he couldn't have done it without your support. :)

    ReplyDelete